While you can’t change the name of a database user, you can create a new one and assign it to an existing database. Here’s how to do that.
- From your webhost dashboard, locate the area that lists your MySQL Databases
- From there, locate the option to Add a User for an associated database
- Create the new user
- If you’re working in WordPress then once the new MySQL user is created, you’ll need to update the wp-config file with the new MySQL username, which can be done through your admin panel or FTP
- Access the associated website from the front end to be sure it resolves correctly
- If resolution occurs, delete the old MySQL user